United Arts’ role in arts advocacy:
United Arts and Orange Arts & Cultural Affairs Advocacy Committee work in concert with the Florida Cultural Alliance statewide advocacy agency, primarily for increased state arts funding through the Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs.
State and Local Partners: Division of Arts and Culture, Council on Arts & Culture | State Legislators & local Orange County delegation | local cultural partners, boards, leaders and arts advocates | Orange County Arts & Cultural Affairs Advisory Council – Advocacy Committee | Florida Cultural Alliance & contracted lobbyists |
National Partners: Americans for the Arts and Arts Action Fund – on advocacy for NEA funding, federal relief support, and other initiatives.
- Each year, a group of Central Florida arts leaders makes a trip to Tallahassee to meet with our legislators. United Arts coordinates the travel and accommodations, sets up the legislative appointments, prepares talking points, and conducts a debrief with area participants for the separate teams’ legislative meetings.
- Local delegation meetings at Orange County – annual opportunity to present a case for the arts; let me know if you can and would like to make a compelling 2-3-minute testimony (Trudy@UnitedArts.cc)
- We will notify you of advocacy alerts when we need your help to contact legislators to request support for increasing statewide arts funding.
Resources – For state funding and advocacy
– Governor DeSantis signed the state budget approving arts and culture funding! Please write a thank you message to the Governor and all our legislators for all their work this budget session and the unprecedented funding for arts and culture! Download the list of budget conference committee and local legislators here.
On May 4, 2022, United Arts hosted a “Tips and Tricks” workshop for State of Florida DAC grants, where experienced grant writers shared advice on how to write a strong application. A link to a recording of the workshop can be found here: https://bit.ly/DACWorkshopUA
Your role in arts advocacy:
Exercise your access to your legislators.
- Write or call this week (they need to hear “THANK YOU” from us) for their final funding recommendations in the state budget, which includes the highest level of support for arts and culture — 100% in Cultural and Museum Grants, and Culture Builds Florida Grants, and $10 million for Cultural Facilities (top 23 on the list), to bring home $5.7M to the Central Florida area.
- 100% of the Cultural & Museum Grants (General Program Support) – 556 grants, $46,010,129 (Locally: 57 grants, $4,520,438)
- 100% of the Culture Builds Florida Grants (Specific Cultural Projects) – 131 grants, $3,077,996 (Locally: 131 grants, $3,077,996)
- $10M of the Cultural Facilities line item, (63% of requests – covers through ranked application # 23 of 47 grants) (Locally: 2 grants, $1,000,000)
- In total, $59M arts and culture funding, 710 grants, statewide. That’s 221% of last year’s total funding ($26.7M) and 85% of this year’s total requests! A C&M grant that received $75,000 last year, would be $150,000 this year!
- And locally: $5,796,488 to 71 of Lake, Orange, Osceola and Seminole counties’ arts & culture, science and history organizations!
- Sample letter to say Thank you to our legislators on the conference committee, Appropriations Subcommittees’ Chair and Vice-Chair, and local legislators; list linked here.
Next Statewide Advocacy Call/Meeting:
- Florida Cultural Alliance: Jennifer Jones, executive director; firstname.lastname@example.org, and the Alliance board lead the statewide advocacy efforts. In partnership with Capitol Consulting Group lobbyists and arts and cultural leaders from around the state, we seek to gain our legislators’ and governor’s support for state arts funding.
– The Florida Cultural Alliance statewide call is monthly on the 4th Monday at 10 a.m.
– Next call is Mon, Jan 23, 2023, at 10 a.m. (Zoom). Must register for each call; Zoom link to register. More information at https://flca.net/
SAVE THE DATE: March 21-22, 2023 for the next trip to Tallahassee for legislative visits.
Central Florida arts and cultural leaders traveled to Tallahassee to advocate for state arts and culture funding. If you want to be included in advocacy alert emails, or are interested in joining the Tallahassee group next year, please fill out the sign-up form on our contact page and indicate “Advocacy” as your area of interest, or email: Trudy@UnitedArts.cc.
- Thank you to GoPegasus for the beautiful Art on Wheels coach to travel to Tallahassee!
- Thank you to all who participated in Arts & Culture Advocacy Day in Tallahassee last January, 2022. Trip details included below for reference; new plans are in progress for the March session.
Tues, Jan 25, afternoon (bus group meets at 11:30 a.m. for 12:30 p.m. departure – group travel by GoPegasus bus $25 each/roundtrip; evening networking event (5p-8p, at Mickee Faust, Railroad Square Art District);
- Arts & Culture Advocacy Day – Rally and Legislative Appointments, Wed, March 22, 2023, Florida State Capitol (400 S Monroe St, Tallahassee, FL 32399)
– Morning rally, 10:00 a.m. 22nd floor, with Florida Cultural Alliance and statewide advocates
– Afternoon, noon to 4 p.m. – Appointments for meetings with legislators (appointments to be schedule by United Arts, for meetings in small groups)
– Evening, 6 p.m. – return to Orlando
– Hotel room blocks for Tues, Feb 21, 2023 – participants to book individually. 3 room blocks holding availability; email Trudy@UnitedArts.cc for options.
- 2023-24 Statewide Platform – Toolkit -PENDING by Florida Cultural Alliance (please check back)
For more information, email Trudy@UnitedArts.cc.
Advocacy for 2023-24 state budget/legislative session (begins March 7, 2023)
- It’s always a good time to say THANK YOU! Send an email or tweet; invite your legislators to visit; send a photo or success story due to your state funding.
FY22 Contacts for State of FL Government – House-Senate – key committees and subcommittees – Local leadership –
- Need more info about Central Florida’s arts advocacy, or wish to join our efforts, please send contact and areas of interest to: Trudy@UnitedArts.cc.
- If you’d like to learn more about local (and state arts advocacy); contact the Orange County calendar for the next Advocacy Committee meeting of Orange County Arts & Cultural Affair
Go to Grants …