– City of Orlando
United Arts’ role in arts advocacy:
United Arts and Orange Arts & Cultural Affairs Advocacy Committee work in concert with the Florida Cultural Alliance statewide advocacy agency, primarily for increased state arts funding through the Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs.
Each year, a group of Central Florida arts leaders makes a trip to Tallahassee to meet with our legislators. United Arts coordinates the travel and accommodations, sets up the legislative appointments, prepares talking points, and conducts a debrief with area participants for the separate teams’ legislative meetings.
Occasionally we work with our national partners at Americans for the Arts on advocacy for NEA funding, federal relief support, and other initiatives.
We will notify you of advocacy alerts when we need your help to contact legislators to request support for increasing statewide arts funding.
If you want to be included in alert emails, or are interested in joining the Tallahassee group, please send your contact information to: Trudy@UnitedArts.cc.
State of Florida Arts Funding 2021-22 (legislative session in progress):
The ASK – STATEWIDE:
730 vetted and recommended grants through Florida Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs:
$67,894,343 would fully fund 730 matching grants among all four grant categories.
- Cultural and Museum Grants – (C&M) 515 requests, $45,762,853
- Culture Builds Florida Grants – (CBF) 153 requests, $3,524,096
- Cultural Facilities Grants – (CF) 47 requests, $15,007,394
- Cultural Endowment Grants – (CE) 15 requests, $3,600,000
The ASK – LOCAL AREA:
Of the state’s totals, local area requests are:
- Orange $4,618,080 ($4.6M) for 47 grants comprised of C&M 40/$3,825,247; CBF 4/$93,500; CF 3/$699,333.
- Lake $611,120 for 8 grants
– (C&M 4/$284,120; CBF 2/$42,000; CF 2/$285,000)
- Osceola $695,500 for 5 grants
– (C&M 4/$195,500; CF, 1/$500,000)
- Seminole $412,900 for 9 grants
– (C&M 4/$257,500; CBF 4/$100,000; 1/$55,400)
TOTAL United Arts/local/ 4-county area: $6,337,600 for 69 grants
Everything you need to know about arts advocacy
Thank you to our host and executive director of the Florida Cultural Alliance, Jennifer Jones, for gathering so much information for our advocacy efforts to seek our legislators and governor’s support for state arts funding.:
- the statewide advocacy platform, for information about the recommended grants from the Division of Cultural Affairs
– for FY21-22 General Program Support, Specific Cultural Project, Cultural Facilities and Cultural Endowments
- the statewide Social Media Toolkit (by Hillary Crawford, Florida Division of Cultural Affairs)
- the contact lists for the House and Senate members, key committees and subcommittees who will be in charge of hearing arts-related budget
- see below for more information Jennifer has gathered: data, deadlines, documents about state arts funding.
Engaging our legislators:
- Thank them for holding a place for arts support in this challenging year (2020-21) funding of $13.6M, statewide. Let them know what it means to your organization, your community, and overall to the County.
- Invite legislators to your events – for either a tour, a performance, or a brief speaking opportunity or a meet&greet with your chair and/or key donors. Or, as a walk-on role in your production!
CONTACTS & CALLS:
- Florida Cultural Alliance: Jennifer Jones, executive director; firstname.lastname@example.org.
– The Florida Cultural Alliance statewide call is monthly on the 4th Monday at 10am. Next call is Mon, April 26 at 10a. (Must register for each Zoom call)
- FY22 Contacts for State of FL Government – House-Senate – key committees and subcommittees – Local leadership –
- Need more info about Central Florida’s arts advocacy, or Orange County’s Arts & Cultural Affairs Advocacy Committee, contact Trudy@UnitedArts.cc.
State of Florida Arts Funding 2020-21 (last year):
The arts were funded, statewide, with $13.6M. This is approximately half of last year’s funding ($21.25M).
The legislature recommended only one grant line item (of four) for Cultural & Museum Grants, so that held funding for the majority of our local nonprofits, at about 31% of their recommended grant amounts.
– Unfunded line items were: Cultural Facilities, Endowment, and Culture Builds Florida grants.
Just the facts:
Updated 8/18/20 – tdw
YEAR 2019-20 FUNDING:
State of Florida, Division of Cultural Affairs (DCA) arts funding for 2019-20 is:
- $21,250,028 in APPROPRIATIONS APPROVED under the Florida Department of State (DOS) Division of Cultural Affairs (DCA) in FY 2019-20 State budget for three of the four DCA matching-grant categories:
– $2,980,028 to fully fund all 132 Culture Builds Florida Matching Grants
-$12,300,000 for Cultural and Museum Matching Grants (provides approximately 29% of each of the 478 recommended grant amounts)
-$5,970,000 for Cultural Facilities Matching Grants (funded first 18 on ranked list fully, and partially funds #19)
- This budget allocation brings Florida from 48th place, back up to 20th in the nation, in state arts funding!
- Talking points about FY20 state arts funding & the chart of 6-year funding history
- Contacts: Elected Officials – State of Florida & Key Legislators- updated 19-0412
- Talk points for DCA & CFL area from 2019-20
- PRESS related to State Arts Advocacy
Go to Grants …